Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April UFO--done!

I was so ecstatic that I was able to finish quilting Word To Live By before I left for quilt camp. It's a huge quilt--well, bigger than what I usually have on my HQ16 frame.  
It finally dawned on me that our guild quilt show will be happening in about six weeks and two of the five quilts I have registered aren't finished--time to put the pedal to metal!

I have to confess that my quilting plan was insprired by Linda Hrcka of the Quilted Pineapple. Obviously, my quilting is much more simplistic as I don't have a tenth of Linda's skill set. 

I used a bamboo batting--50% bamboo fiber/50 % organic cotton that I had purchased at Joann's several years ago. It seems to have a nice drape to it, but as I was quilting, long silky fibers seemed to cling to the quilting thread and collect on the top. I probably won't use it again,--at least not on a quilt with a lot of black areas!  
I used all 50 wt. cotton Aurifil threads:

Black #2692, Dark Red #1103 and Tan # 2325


And this is the only time I will let anyone see the back of the quilt--backtracking is not my forte--yikes!
By the way, the original Words to Live By, designed by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings and quilted by Linda Hrcka just won second place in Paducah for longarm bed quilt--well deserved!
Linking with A Lovely Year of Finishes and WIP's on Wednesday 

and Needle and Thread Thursday

Wednesdays are WOW days Linky Party


17 comments:

  1. just a beautiful quilt--you are such a fabulous appliquer....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your quilting looks fabulous!! Its a really wonderful quilt :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breath-taking quilt. I like the border with all the half square triangles but the applique blocks are what catches the eye. The quilting is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize how big this quilt is. You did an awesome job on it and the quilting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous quilt--congrats on the finish. Linda is amazing, isn't she? It can be intimidating to see what she does to a quilt, but also quite inspiring. I'd say you were well inspired! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! Wonderful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous quilt to have finished! I hope it wins you a rosette at the show! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilt...............good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous quilt ... and I think your quilting is quite fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beauty, well done! It's a gorgeous quilt and your little touches just make it. I hope you win something too, but frankly, its already a winner in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, your Words to Live By is just stunning!!! Your quilting is beautiful, no need to be so modest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous finish! I think the quilting looks wonderful and it complements the top perfectly! I love the look of a quilt from the back and yours is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your finish! The quilting on this project is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congratulations on a beautiful finish. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on bamboo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!!! Quilting is special :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with everyone else...what a beautiful finish Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with everyone else...what a beautiful finish Karen!!

    ReplyDelete