Sunday, February 1, 2015

Some Wooly Slow Stitching

Whew! As much as I failed to keep myself on track, I managed to finish a UFO for January--yay!
Fall Out Shelter quilt
Spider Web AKA Fall Out Shelter quilt.
Quilted, bound and labeled--yee-haw!
You can read more about this quilt HERE

I had a hard time deciding on how to quilt this one and what threads I should use.
I ended up using black on all the black areas and a variegated thread for the web blocks. I used a grey/blue in the border. 

It took a while to figure out the best way to do a continuous design, but I finally got a rhythm going. At one point I suddenly ran into a dead end--vegging out again, or so I thought. It turned out that one of the blocks was turned the wrong way.
Drats.
There was no way I was going to fix it at that point--every quilt needs a humility block, right?
See if you can find it in the top photo--kind of a Where's Waldo--haha!


Now that I have my UFO out of the way, I'm doing catch up on the Stitching Society Wool Hexagons......again.....
Linking up with Kathy at Slow Sunday Stitching HERE
Slow Sunday Stitching

15 comments:

  1. I just love those wooly hexagons. How many are you going to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your spider web quilt really calls to me. Did you design it or is there a pattern available for it! Love your latest wooly hexagon, looks very Pennsylvania Dutch! Perfect for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish! Loving that orange heart hexie, too...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job! Should I be ducking for cover???
    I am planning on some slow stitching sometime this week myself. D.G. L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen! What a beautiful quilt and congratulations on a finish!! Love your wool heart! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read the background on your fall out shelter quilt, which is super cute, by the way. Your story made me smile. I'm glad you went with the blue/grey border instead. A much better color choice. I've looked but I can't find the humility block. Glad you got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your finish is just gorgeous!! Love those big hexies. But my favorite is your wool project...just yummy! Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen that pattern before. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I remember those Fallout Shelter signs on a building near my childhood home. That is pretty funny. : )
    But I love the quilt. It looks good, and has the perfect name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish. This is a lovely quilt. Great work with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your finished hexie quilt is total eye candy! You made the best of a set of badly written instructions - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My Heck - I just discovered that your wool hexie project is from a shop that's not too far from me - the shop owner is so talented - I'm working on one of her patterns now (one of MANY projects actually)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your finished quilt... great that you put in a humility block!
    Lovely wool project too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your finished quilt. It's fabulous! Your wool hexie is just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete