Sunday, December 6, 2015

Getting There!

I have finished assembling my Mrs. Billing's rosettes, so it was time to piece the Border Nine background and glue baste them in place. I was dangerously close to not having any hand work to do--yikes!
Next Step: applique them down. These will be fun to work on for some Slow Sunday Stitching! 

Here's a little tip:
 The strips will be handled a lot as the applique is stitched, so I ran a very narrow bead of Fray Check along the outer seam allowances. I could "stay stitch", but the fabric would probably ravel up to the stitching and I've found this works very nicely! It's important not to use too much Fray Check or it will run beyond the seam allowance and may show on the fabric after piecing. When I start a new bottle of FC, I snip off the barest amount of the tip using a sharp craft knife so I can control the flow. I also lay out the fabric I'm treating on freezer paper (shiny side up) or plastic shopping bags to keep my cutting mat clean. Don't move the fabric until the FC is dry (that doesn't take long) so you don't get the FC on places you don't want it!
Happy stitching!  

Sew and Sow FarmSlow Sunday Stitching

17 comments:

  1. love these hexies that you have fussy cut so perfect - love that quilt too that they will end up on

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a close call not having any hand work to do!
    This looks like great fun!
    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin, That is a really good idea with the fray check. I will have to try that. As much as I pick up and put down my hand sewing it usually does fray alot. And close call on not having hand sewing. I actually get withdrawals when I don't have hand work at the ready! Thank you for sharing and linking up with Sew Simple Saturday! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are just beautiful and that's a great tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good tip. I use fray check for other things, but never thought of it for appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NEAT TIP! THANKS FOR SHARING!
    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks Karen and thanks for the tip... very useful! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This probably helps keep edges from stretching too, but you have also given me another idea to ponder for my old stack of flower blocks, a UFO I would love to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking great, Karen.
    Good tip on the fray check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so wonderful Karen. That swirly one at the bottom of your top picture is genius! I have a hand stitched border to make for a flower garden quilt, so thanks for the FC tip, I might well meet it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice border...I love the sashing fabric. Have fun stitching your hexies down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those blocks are beautiful. I will enjoy seeing the entire quilt emerge. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful information about the Fray Check - Thank You!! And you blocks are just beautiful!!! I can't wait to see your finished quilt as I know it is going to be just gorgeous!!!
    PS Also thanks for the comment about running low on things to hand stitch on Sundays....I think I'm going to 'copy' you and prep blocks to hand stitch too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all those very pretty hexies!! Not a project that I have wanted to start, but I admire those that others have done!!

    What a great tip!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all those very pretty hexies!! Not a project that I have wanted to start, but I admire those that others have done!!

    What a great tip!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blocks are looking great. Thanks for the tips for using fray check.

    ReplyDelete