Tuesday, December 8, 2015

December So Far...

Did you think I was working on my December UFO? 
You should know me better than that......
I have the attention span of a gnat.... 
I've been buried in tiny four patches trying to complete my Thimble Creek Mystery quilt.
All of the four patches are sewn, double counted and made into strips of the appropriate lengths.
And look--one half of the quilt is together! 

My favorite blocks are now the ones that don't need to be matched to the four patch sashing.
I don't think I've ever done so much pinning--extremely time consuming!

I had to do some "make do" sewing to complete the candy corn setting triangles, but you would be hard pressed to see where that happened--thank goodness. I'm very happy to use what I have--I'm going to empty that Halloween bin of scraps yet!
I was worried about using several different gray fabrics left over from the blocks to make the four patches, but luckily they are pretty much the same value. All the lights in the four patches are left over scraps from the blocks too. It got a little sketchy when I had to come up with 51 more four patches after the initial 500, but fortunately I was able to disperse them enough that they don't stand out--this is one scrap crazy quilt. 
I hope you've been able to catch the Great Holiday Baking Show on ABC--not quite as enjoyable as the Great British Baking Show (no Mel and Sue!) but it's fun to see the crazy concoctions being made with a holiday theme. And at least it has some Mary Berry cred. It almost makes me want to do some holiday baking myself (not!).

Linking with Scraptastic Tuesday HERE

10 comments:

  1. Karen your quilt is amazing! I think it looks fantastic.... I don't know how you have the patience to piece all those little four patch blocks but it is well worth the time it has taken because it looks fabulous! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I love small and fiddly, but even I'm looking at that and saying 'Seriously?' 8) That is a lot of piecing you've got going there. The upside is that it looks like it's going to be absolutely gorgeous when you finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wee! That is looking terrific. All those four patches make an awesome setting but an incredible amount of sewing. Looks like all the pinning made everything match up very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, what a wonderful quilt you appear to be creating there! I can't get over the incredible effect of the 4-patch sashing!
    I love the Great British Baking Show--I've watched all of those episodes. Unfortunately I have not been able to catch any of the Great Holiday Baking Show, and having only free TV and no recording capability, I haven't a way to watch the episodes after the fact. : (
    Since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I can't do my usual holiday baking, but I can enjoy watching others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like crazy amounts of four patch piecing - bravo and thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing quilt! You come up with the best things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grey and white checkerboard sashing is fantastically effective! it really sets off all the blocks which are also beautiful! I loved the baking show in the UK, Have not seen the one in the states but I really enjoyed the UK show! It was hard not to get out my mixer and make a cake!! LOL! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The setting for the quilt is oh so interesting. I agree that the checkerboard sashing in the grey and white works really well.

    ReplyDelete