Thursday, May 30, 2013

Gentle Art Schnibbles Complete!!


I wasn't planning to make this month's project for the Schnibbles Sew Along. I've spread myself pretty thin this month and couldn't motivate myself to get started on Gentle Art, the May Schnibbles.

It's pretty cute though...
Then, while digging around in my stash of retro fabrics, I found this pile of scraps--Bee's Knees by Glenna Hailey for Maywood Studio. This pile is left over from a roll of fat 16th's. 

Hmmm....this could make some pretty cute spools!
Originally, I picked up the fabric at Colorz for Quilts to make a Disappearing Nine Patch:
Disappearing Nine Patch 2009
I added some Darlene Zimmerman prints leftover from Clothesline Club projects. 
Fun spool blocks using Bee's Knees scraps.

My Bees Knees Gentle Art Schnibble! 
I only had enough border fabric left over from the Disappearing Nine Patch to do two sides of Gentle Art, so the other two borders are scrappy piano keys. I was afraid it would be weird, but I'm okay with it. 

Clamshell quilting in the background
This is what I have left of my pile of Bees Knees scraps after piecing the front and back of Gentle Art.
They are going into my strips and squares scrap boxes.
I used a lot of the scraps on the back so the three yellow fat quarters would fit the back. 
After consulting with my quilting buddies, I added the quilting in the spools. 

I'll show you how I put in the "piping" next week. 

8 comments:

  1. Nice! I love using almost everything up of a group of fabric. I like the border, too. It isn't weird at all. Pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute as pie........and I am loving that piping!! I also really like the Disappearing 9-Patch in these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt , great job very fun fabrics you used in the Gentle Art quilt and I love that piping.
    sometimes its these little touches that really make your quilt stand out
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOoooooh gorgeous! It's a happy scrappy quilt! The back in wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I may have to steal your idea of quilting in the spools - I love that! Your border is very pretty - I like that variation born of necessity. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such pretty, cheerful fabric for your lovely Gentle Art. I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so many nice things to comment on! I love that you used scraps and the piano key border turned out wonderfully! I'm trying to use more of what I have and I'm inspired by your clever use of the fabrics. The quilting on the spools is just adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to put two pictures of your Gentle Art on the parade... I love the first project and love that you used your scraps from it to make Gentle Art. Cute piano key border too. Thanks for being in the parade!

    ReplyDelete