Sunday, July 20, 2014

Another Finish!

I'm on a roll this week!
 I have my July Stitch Society project completed. This month we got a pattern for a ditty bag. I'm not sure what makes it a ditty, but I think it's pretty cute!
I was surprised at how easily this went together. There are pockets all around and a drawstring top.
The drawstrings are made from the adorable twill tape my cousin Barb gave me.
I used scraps from my stash to make the bag, so the fabric placement depended on how much yardage I had of each fabric which caused a little bit of a contrast issue. I think most of the fabrics  are from older Sweetwater designs.
 I did a blanket stitch in red around the top of the pockets to create a little contrast--now I'm much happier with the end result.

I made my monogram hexagon to match the band and bottom print and shrank it a little bit so it just fit on the pocket. In the pattern, the hexagon overlaps into the bottom band. Our fearless leader Theresa plans to shrink hers even more and use it as a fob on a chain to attach to one of the bag handles. I know that's going to be sweet! 

This is the first time I had ever used Soft and Stable (headliner foam) and I love how the bag stands up really nicely but it still pretty lightweight. Thank goodness I had plenty of Wonder Clips to hold everything in place though. They worked great to hold the 2 layers of S&S together with 6 layers of fabric on the side seams. There's no way I could have pinned all that together without a lot of distortion!

The drawstring top can be tucked down into the bag in case you need to carry something tall......
or bring along your monkey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment