Sunday, March 10, 2013

Winter Wonderland Part Two


Oh my goodness--the snow is just not stopping! 
It's beautiful, but I am ready for it to all go away--soon! 
This is a view to the North.

A view of Moose Bay from our living room-East.

This is a view to the South.

Okay, enough of that!

I checked out the label on my Winter Wonderland quilt, and it was finished in 2008.
This makes me think that I probably worked on the embroidery and blocks in late 2006 through 2007, and quilted it in 2008 so I could put it in the Pinetree Patchworkers quilt show. That seems to be the only way I get most of my quilts completely finished--just in time to put them in the show!

The Snow Angel was my very first block.
It didn't make it into the quilt, though.
After I finished the block, I decided it wasn't the right shade of blue: DMC 798.
This is the same block in the color I ended up using for all the blocks in the finished quilt:
DMC 796
You can see how different they are here.

Never fear!
The orphan block made the perfect center for a little wall hanging that I entered in a contest in 2010.
I won a $25 gift certificate!!
I added a few borders (snowballs naturally!) and quilted little snowflakes in the outer border.
 I made sure not to quilt through the embroidery this time,
so I didn't have to spend ages coloring over the white threads. 


My quilting is really bad--you can see the tension as I try to decide which way to go next! 
I fused clear crystals on the quilted snowflakes for this quilt. 

If you have the pattern for Winter Wonderland,
you know there is an extra block that Meg Hawkey challenges you to use somewhere on the quilt.
My little snowman is sliding out of the center and into the border. 

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a heck of a lot of snow. Your stitcheries fit right in with the weather. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute--I have "Over the River and Through the Woods" waiting in the wings for me as my next embroidery project. I just can't decide what color (s) I want to do it in--just not the neutrals as shown...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute little guy in the border, spent many winters as a child sledding on a sled like that!
    thats for the memory this am , just adorable. your making me think about ordering the pattern but I would have to learn how to do redwork :)
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cute! If I still embroidered I would do them for sure. Hope it stops snowing for you ! I personally hate the stuff ! Micki

    ReplyDelete