Saturday, March 1, 2014

This and That

Last week I got this lovely needle book in the mail from Canada--a beautiful periwinkle blue embellished leaf on my favorite shade of green! I won this during the Grow Your Blog hop when Karen H. from Faeries and Fibres chose my name. If you aren't familiar with her site, be sure to visit! She has a wonderful free sew-along going on right now--Soupcon Quilt Along. It's not too late to join in the fun. If you love English Paper Piecing, embroidery, embellishments and hexagons, you need to check it out!
During the blog hop, I also won the first lesson for Karen Walker's Crafsy class of The Farmer's Wife Quilt Revival. It's a 12 month program using modern techniques to make the blocks. I've had the book for quite a while, and it's a lot of fun to read. Hopefully this class will jump start me into sewing up some of the blocks! She also has a great blog: laugh yourself into Stitches*. You will find lots of awesome tutorials including my favorite: the magic 8 half square triangle method.

Karen from Log Cabin Quilter sent me this photo of her first two Simply Red blocks. She is using the fusible method from the book and my favorite color: blue! I really enjoy her blog--she does a lot of fun, whimsical applique project that I love!

All of Karen's blocks are fused and ready to stitch. I'm so happy she decided to join in!!
 Have you noticed a trend going on? Yes! We are all KAREN's!!! How weird is that?   

If you got hooked on the Olympics, you couldn't have missed these awesome banners. 
sochi_patchwork
Aren't they wonderful? Have you been itching to make one of your own? I don't usually use this colorful of a palette for my quilts, but I do really love these! Linda Ambrosini has designed a free pattern inspired by the banners for Hoffman California. You can download it HERE
Have fun!!
Sandcastle Dreams
When Bali Met Sochi

2 comments:

  1. Yes - I have noticed there are a lot of Karen's out there in the quilting blogs I follow! Sweet needle case - congratulations on your wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that there are lots of Karen's in Quilt Blogland. People nowadays seldom choose Karen to name their baby girls. I wonder if all Karen's are quilters. LOL!

    ReplyDelete