Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Little "Favorite Things" Tutorial

Thank goodness I sometimes write myself notes--even better if I remember to read them! 
I turned my appointment book to December yesterday and had written a reminder to bring along a "favorite item" to exchange at the Stitching Society meeting this Thursday. ACK!
It's easy to pick my favorite thing to do--stitching!
One thing I can't do without while enjoying my favorite activity, is my little thread catcher. So, I guess it is one of my favorite things! I take it with me everywhere I do stitching and those little snippets from embroidering or binding or whatever go into my little catcher. It squashes down into almost nothing and can be easily tucked into a small take along bag. No more bits of thread all over the car interior or your friends living room furniture!

You can make your own in a snap!
 If you have a 10" 60 degree ruler, you have the pattern.
Otherwise, you need an equilateral triangle--most any size will do, but not too little.

After cutting out your triangles, (you need two per thread-catcher, an inside and an outside) mark each corner using a spool as a guide.

Carefully trim the corners on the marked lines at each corner.
Layer the inside and outside fabrics right sides together.
  •  Note that each of the triangles should have one side that has been cut on the straight of grain. Make sure both triangles are aligned with the straight of grain together
Now sew all around, leaving a 3"-4" opening on the straight of grain side of the layered triangles.

After sewing all around (careful sewing around those corners will make prettier points when turned!), use your point turner to smooth the seams. See how nice the opening folds in where you left it un-sewn  on the straight of grain?
You're welcome!
No need to sew that opening up--it will be taken care of in the next step!

Now  match the points with the inside fabric to the inside.
Pin at about the center distance from the fold to the point.


Do that on all three sides.
See my folded in seams--those will be sewn shut now!

Sew from the fold to the pin marker using a generous 1/8" seam, back stitching at both ends.
This is what you will get.

Now you can tack the points down with beads, buttons, yo-yo's or what ever you desire.
Make it cute!
I like to tie buttons on with floss using a square knot--then there is only a tiny stitch on the inside.

I added wool balls to my pin cushion--is it weird?

I couldn't remember if we are supposed to bring this "favorite" something for everyone (it's not a big group) or if we are exchanging gifts one on one.
I guess I should have written myself a more detailed note!
So I made a pile of thread catchers.

Of course, as I do my favorite thing--stitching--I always have either hot or cold tea nearby.
 And occasionally a piece of dark chocolate is necessary--especially with salted caramel--so that will be added to the gift package too!

 

16 comments:

  1. Cute, cute idea. I'm going to try making one. Thanks for the tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work with the thread catchers. They are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little gift for your quilty/sewing friends. And thank you for the tutorial, I really want to try making this as you make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable thread catcher--I will try to make one for myself and a friend...thank you--a nice early Christmas tutorial present--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those thread catchers are adorable! I have to make gifts for a small sewing ground and they might just do the trick! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to say that the wool balls on the pincushion are quirky and I think that they are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are cute. They would be great for little scraps of paper too. I like the little wool balls. Did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever and not difficult. I must make me one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial - thanks so much! It is now on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so sweet - thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you by way of Kyle at Timeless Reflections - great tutorial! Made 4 of these little cuties for my stitching buds - they really liked them. Need to do one for me!
    Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great as little gifts, wish I had seen these earlier, perhaps if I start now I may have time to finish a few for Christmas 2015. Soooo many lovely things. Thanks for bringing this to us

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grande ideia! Parabéns e obrigada por compartilhar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! and I am going to make some for my sewing classroom while waiting for trick-or-treaters this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a shame I can’t sew. Straight of grain/ no idea what that is 😢

    ReplyDelete
  16. cute, but I iron on some stiffener to one piece. Makes them much nicer.

    ReplyDelete