Friday, May 4, 2018

Slow Mode



I'm back from my second retreat--whew! 
It was so great, but now I need to recharge the batteries. 
I may be too old to have that much fun--lol!  
My goal at this retreat was to finish all the parts (hundreds!) needed for Jamestown Landing. I wasn't sure it was going to happen, but even though I was bored out of my  mind, I did it! I realized that although I love just about every quilt in Bonnie Hunter's String Fling book, I don't think string piecing is for me.
I had made the Half Square Triangles ahead of time and was a bit worried I wouldn't have enough to make all of the Broken Dishes blocks--turned out I had one extra HST!

I even got a few blocks put together. 

You may remember when I made a block in Bonnie's class that I wasn't too pleased with the darker strings in my block shown on the far right. Before making the rest of the string blocks at this retreat, I pulled out most of the darker fabric strings from my bin and I'm much happier with the results. 

My Little Boys Britches quilt is going to be my May One Monthly Goal to finish. 
My setting triangles are a mottled Jeanne Horton fabric so I thought this print also designed by her would make a nice back. 

I'm using the same fabric for the binding also, since the green print I had originally planned to use doesn't look so great with the backing. Hopefully I can get this completed right away--I have lots of yard work to do now that the snow has finally melted!

Linking with One Monthly Goal HERE
Take me to the May OMG LInk-up

14 comments:

  1. Love seeing all that you have accomplished :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I love your Jamestown Landing blocks. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get to go to so many retreats!

    I have the templates for the Britches block but keep forgetting I have it. It has a prim look to it and have wanted to do a scrappy version with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Jamestown Landing is going to look fabulous! I know what you mean about string blocks. One time I even tried using a stripe fabric instead of string piecing. It just wasn't the same. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ALWAYS loved Jamestown Landing and maybe I'll actually make it someday!! Your britches quilt is adorable. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally, someone else that doesn’t adore string piecing!! But I do love that quilt. And I have subbed stripes for strings and been happy with the results. That is how I made Orca Bay.
    I think your Little Britches will look great with that binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great quilt - hadn't heard that block name before. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great color combination in your JL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work getting all that done at retreat. I agree that the blue blocks look better without the darker colours.
    It will be great to see the britches quilt completed. Love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful quilts you are working on Karen! I always love the fabrics you choose for your quilts, we must have similar tastes! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh tell me... how many projects do you have ? Ah ah ! I love a lot these blue blocks and no doubt your top will be amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you having two retreats to recover from!! Great commitment on retreat getting the string quilt all pieced...clearly there was enough chatter and merriment to keep your spirits up with it! And it was worth it too - it's going to look lovely all joined up. Good luck with your OMG :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe your retreats were the perfect place to stitch all those repetitive blocks. The lighter string blocks are much better for your JL. It lets the broken dish blocks stand out more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice job on the Jamestown Landing! Now that I finished Talkin Turkey, I'm going to get back to mine. Great production on your retreat!!!

    ReplyDelete