Sunday, August 20, 2017

Quilting with Bonnie Hunter

I guess it's about time I posted a couple photos from my class with Bonnie Hunter before I forget that it even happened....
The night before the Jamestown Landing class, Bonnie did a lecture/trunk show. Afterwards, members of the audience showed their "Bonnie Hunter" quilts. It was really fun to see so many variations!
The best part of the day: my on-line friend Sandi Tundel and I met in person--finally! She kindly offered to pick me up at the hotel for dinner and the trunk show. It's been so funny to compare our interests as we both seem to have done, or plan to do, the same projects--even having read the same books. Turns out we drive the same make and model car--how crazy is that? 

This is a closeup of the Jamestown Landing quilt.
 I'm sure you can figure out why I wanted to take this class!
There were lots of Jamestown Landing variations--these are from just about everyone in class. We made string block units in the morning and broken dishes units in the afternoon. Then we put the units together into blocks. 

I loved this quilters block made from plaids.
I really need to start collecting old shirts! 

This is what I accomplished in class. I'm thinking I need to set this block aside and start making the string units with less contrasting fabrics. I'm worried they will detract from the design that the broken dishes segments make. I've only made about 15 of the string blocks, so it wouldn't be a big deal to set those aside for something else. What do you think?

I haven't accomplished much this week.
Not to overshare; I had a hard time bouncing back from a "medical procedure" I had on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be back to "normal" soon. In the meantime, I'll be doing some stitching on the last Primitive Garden block before starting on the borders. This is the first time I've used my Apliquick tools I purchased at a quilt show in June. So far, so good. I especially like the glue stick!

Linking with Slow Sunday Stitching HERE

13 comments:

  1. I don't recall seeing that quilt of hers! All the versions look great! I agree with the contrast to make the broken dishes stand out! You are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed Bonnie's quilt had a few darker strings and it didn't seem to distract from the pattern. You'll know when you start making a few more blocks if your string blocks will work or not. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, to see Bonnie in person. Unbelievable that you and your friend have the same car. As they say, 'great minds think alike.' I also like the block with plaids. I may start collecting shirts. Hope you feel normal real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked out the video link you provided for Apliquick. Wow. I am definitely going to get some. Thanks! Also love your projects. How lucky to see Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat stuff. I love the Jamestown Landing quilts! May your recovery be quick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you taking a class from Bonnie Hunter. i made the Primitive Garden quilt but used wools. Did you use reproduction fabrics for that quilt or go another way? I have never used the appliquick tools but they look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pattern but hate making string blocks! Sounds like the class and meeting your friend was lots of fun. So nice to do new things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling better soon, Karen. What fun to see Bonnie in person. I hadn't seen Jamestown landing before. It's a nice mix.
    Since you asked, my suggestion is to go ahead a make quieter string blocks. I find my opinion changes as the quilt progresses. You may be delighted to have a few of these stronger strings in it and can easily add them back in. Or not. The beauty of scrap quilts to me is these subtle variations, even when they don't look subtle in a few blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jamestown Landing. Glad you got to have that experience. And I love working with plaid shirts (if someone would deconstruct them all for me)
    Sorry recovery isn't as quick as hoped. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Hand work is great for those times when you aren't supposed to do much else. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see the photos from your Bonnie days. How lovely to do a class with her. And how great that you met your friend, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in the Jamestown Landing class, too. And I'm thinking the same thing about my string blocks--going for the more tend-to-look-white fabrics and leaving out the ones with too much distracting colors. Hope you're feeling up to sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope that you feel better soon. What an awesome project and it sounds as if your friend was a twin in a former life :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are feeling better now! It is nice to read about Bonnie's class, and so funny to hear that you and your new/old friend had so many things in common! Why not make some blocks with lower contrast strings, and then see if you can sprinkle in the ones you've already made? I've noticed that a lot of Bonnie's quilts have less than ideal value delineations, but when you stand back, they look great!

    ReplyDelete