Sunday, August 30, 2015

Slow Finishing

I'm still working on the path hexagons for Stars in the Garden, but I also want to get my little Temecula Instagram Summer Sew Along project completed now that the finishing instructions have been posted.
I auditioned so many fabrics before coming back to this blue--you know I love blue! This is just a 2" strip with the body of the quilt laid on it (I used tiny dots of basting glue to hold it in place).

Then the hexagons are appliqued to the 2" strip to make a small border.
I haven't removed the outer rows of hexagon papers yet, but I will get those plucked out later today. 

On the short ends, the instructions were to trim off the hexagons to make a straight edge. I am going to leave them as is and also applique a 2" blue strip to each end so there is a border all the way around. I didn't have the heart to chop off those hexies!

I think it will look alright and I am happy with the blue--I plan to use the same fabric for the binding-- if I get that far. I'm going to attempt hand quilting this since it's very small--hopefully the wrist will hold out!
Linking with Slow Sunday Stitching HERE
 
Slow Sunday Stitching

13 comments:

  1. So pretty--lovely border--That blue is my fave too hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely slow stitching Sunday project. I couldn't have cut those hexies either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute. Interesting way to finish. I wouldn't have the heart to chop off any hexie either. Hope the wrist holds out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little project. I love the blue border. Thanks for showing the back to give a better idea of the applique process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on a red kick. I was looking at all your red & pinky red hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing how you finished off with the border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that blue fabric. Think I still have a bit of it. It makes a nice border on your hexies.
    I like this way of finishing the edge of a hexie quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that blue! Your little quilt is going to be very sweet indeed :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blue is perfect! I wouldn't have the heart to cut off those hexies either. Hope your wrist cooperates ... can't wait to see this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that it is hard to cut off those hexagons. Your little quilt is lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your border applique, too. Hexies should be hexies, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful... I have that same blue fabric in my collection/hoard!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete