Tuesday, February 4, 2014

A Year of Red and White

Since Valentine's Day is coming up and our thoughts turn to packing away our "snowy" decorations, it's only natural to bring out the red and white (and maybe pink) quilts. SewCalGal is having a red and white celebration that will continue through the year--read about it HERE.
red and white quilt show - Made Prior to 2014
Starting today, there are links to red and white quilts that have been made before 2014--have fun checking them out HERE.

I have several red and cream or red and tan quilts, but only one red and white quilt. I have plans for another red and white quilt (I have a luscious Cherrywood red waiting in the wings), but it will be a while before I get going on it. 
Crabapple Hill
This is Honey Bunny's Garden by Crabapple Hill Studios.
(Guess what?? Crabapple Hill is having a sale on ALL their patterns through February 14th!! Quick like a bunny hop over there to save 25%--don't forget to come back here and check out the red and white show, though!!)
My label on the back says it was finished in 2007.
It was the project for one of  the first Stitch Therapy groups that I taught at Colorz for Quilts.
Actually, this is the second version of this pattern that I made.
If I ever get the first one quilted, I'll be sure to share it!

Crabapple Hill
This is my favorite block--I love Honey Bunny's chair!

Crabapple Hill
My original quilt used multi-color threads, but for the class I decided to make a red work quilt.

Crabapple Hill
I did echo quilting in the blocks around the embroidery.
 It's always so hard to decide how to quilt embroidered blocks--whether to quilt through them or around them....
This time I went around!

Crabapple Hill
I opted not to do the French knots in the tails for this one.
The tails are supposed to be filled in with dozens of knots to create a "fluffy" tail.
 

Crabapple Hill
This is the fun back--more red work!!
I bought this fabric thinking I would stitch over the designs,
but later came to my senses and used it as a backing.

In keeping with the red theme today:
I just dropped off these blocks at Colorz for Quilts. I managed to eke out 10 of them Sunday afternoon.
Colorz is collecting 6" friendship stars in red and cream during February.
The blocks will be put together into a quilt to be donated to Habitat for Humanity
Cherrywood is donating sashing fabric to complete the quilt.
You can pick up a pattern at the shop.

By the way, Colorz is hosting a sew-in March 14 and 15th to celebrate Worldwide Quilting Day.
That's when the blocks will be sewn together--mark your calendars! 
 Don't forget to stop by the Phase One Red and White Challenge and do a little blog hopping!!

9 comments:

  1. The backing is perfect for your redwork quilt. Gotta love those bunnies you stitched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery is so nice. I really wish I was good at stitching like that. I have done some in the past, but just could never get it to look as nice and smooth as I wanted. I love all the red and white quilts in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bunnies are so beautiful. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The redwork is very sweet, and I love the backing, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your quilt is lovely! I can't resist bunnies, so cute. The backing is fab too, I thought you'd embroidered the entire backing at first!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redwork is my favorite & I do it almost exclusively. Great work!

    Thanks for sharing your blog. I'm still working through all the blogs from GYB. A little over 1/3 of the way through. Please feel free to visit my embroidery blog. (I'm in the 1st set on the list.)

    aprilsongstress

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, I'm returning the visit and am soooo glad I did!!!! I absolutely love the bunnies in this quilt!!! I added myself as a GFC follower!! YAH!!! NIce to meet ya! Next time ya stop by add yourself too...it would be to follow each other!! Val from myplvl.blogspot.com (Val's Quilting Studio)

    ReplyDelete