Friday, May 8, 2020

All New!

In the last two weeks I have started a couple of new projects. 
One of them is this Wild Goose Chase kit that came from the stash of a quilt camp friend, Kitty.
In the pattern, there were pages upon pages for the paper pieced flying geese--not my favorite method. I decided to use my Quilt in A Day ruler to make the geese units. I needed to add a few extra fabrics to be able to do that, also making it a little bit scrappy--a good thing, in my book. 
Piecing the geese using Eleanor Burns' technique went pretty quickly--lots of geese happening! 

I changed out the very bright orange fabric that was in the kit and used two deeper cheddar colored fabrics from my stash for the rest of the quilt.



These blocks go together pretty quickly when the geese are all ready to go! 
This is all nine blocks set together as shown in the pattern. Very striking, I think. 
It's difficult to see in this photo, but there are two different blues used in the  backgrounds.
I was a little unhappy with this setting though, because the top seems very dark--and it's only 36 inches square.  

I re-set the blocks on my design wall and grabbed some cheddar squares from my 2.5" scrap box.  I liked that the sashing added some lightness and also made it a bit larger, but, hmmm......still not sure.  
n

Then I remembered that I had a good sized chunk of this fabric in my stash. It's from one of the same lines of fabric included in the kit. There had been a small piece of it in the kit labeled for use in the dark parts of the geese. (I had used it as a light when I made my geese units.)

I cut it to finish at the same width as the geese units. This isn't sewn together yet. It's a little crazy looking but I kind of like it. Or maybe I am just mesmerized by those wavy stripes?
There will be a narrow cheddar inner border and a small border from the same floral in the darkest blocks. 

It has an hypnotic effect, no? 

22 comments:

  1. I love that pattern but I frequently have problems cutting a point off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the addition of those wavey sashes...This is a charming piece--lovely work, Karen...~ ~ ~ waving in the cold rain Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! :-) Great idea to use the Eleanor Burns ruler. I love these flying geese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Blue is my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is turning out great You are very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very hypnotic. I love it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! I love the wave effect. wish I have such great fabric in my stash. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it! That wavy stipe adds so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually really like the "dark" version of this little quilt, but the wavy sashing does give it a cool effect. Great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice. I'm anxious to see how you are going to quilt it. I made one that is similar but can't figure out how to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love what you did with that wavy sashing! I never would have tried that myself. But I also love the original setting. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! It adds some air to the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that you made the quilt kit your own. Margo's wavy fabric is so fun as the sashing. It gives the quilt a whole new personality!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt and yay for making it yours by using the cheddar. Love seeing all those fabulous prints. they are working together so well.
    the wavy sashing is fun

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a transformation. It's amazing what sashing/setting can do and the wavy print is awesome for this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that looks amazing! Inspired me to get off my duff and try some geese! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your new quilt! The wavy lines fabric is perfect for the sashing and a big improvement over the original.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your progress, and fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely work with all those flying geese. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not familiar with the tool you used for making the flying geese. I need to investigate it. Your geese turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your thoughts along the way. The sashing fabric was an excellent choice and certainly encourages your eye to travel around the quilt. Are you going to bind it in cheddar?

    ReplyDelete