Monday, March 16, 2020

Sweet William: My New Project


I own several historical quilt books and have always admired this basket quilt from the 1800's.
In 2014, I was browsing the internet and came across Ingrid's Supergoof Quilts blog HERE . She was making some of these blocks. 

Oh my, I was completely smitten and I loved the yellow she was using for the alternate block. Then I found out that Ingrid was working from a pattern called Sweet William by Susan Smith. 

At that time, I was still working at the quilt shop when this Riley Black yellow check came in. I bought a ton of it along with some quilter's linen by Kaufman that I thought would make a nice background for the baskets. 
Like I said, that all happened six years ago. Late last year, I decided it was about time to get started on Sweet William. I found those fabrics I had purchased right away but after searching my sewing room high and low I just could not find the pattern. I started to wonder if I had actually purchased one!

Thankfully, my dear friend Karen (logcabinquilter) rescued me by kindly sending me her pattern and I thank her from the bottom of my heart for that!

If you have ever used a Susan Smith pattern, you know they are not for the beginner. Instructions are minimal. This is the pattern for the basket which (per the pattern) is hand pieced using templates you draw up yourself from this diagram.
Not happening here--lol!

I did some figuring and worked out the measurements to rotary cut and machine piece the baskets to speed things up--I was so excited to start the applique!  
It ended up being very easy once I figured out that adding a flippy corner to the large half square triangle would make the basket bottom. 



My first basket filled! The pattern says to make the block and then do the applique. I was very worried about raveling and shrinking, so did this test block. It all worked out fine, so I'm going ahead with piecing before applique. 

I re-figured my calculations so I could make 2 blocks at a time--that way I do not end up with extra triangles. 
Here's where I am so far.
There will be 36 basket blocks in the quilt. They are all cut out and half of them have been sewn--and half of those have been filled--so fun! 

 I haven't deviated from the Susan Smith applique patterns--yet. If you take a close look at the original quilt from the 1800's, some baskets have pine trees, a rooster, deer and even giraffes! Thankfully Susan didn't include those blocks in her pattern--lol! 

So far, my favorite is the strawberry block but there's a cute tiny bird coming up soon! 

22 comments:

  1. I follow Ingrid and had seen her Sweet William and love everything she sews actually. But this one is special. Your work on the blocks is so perfect. This is going to be another beauty, Karen. Will enjoy following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved this one too. Your blocks are gorgeous and I look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty baskets--lovely work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet project. You do such lovely work, this is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a delightful quilt! It's the perfect blend of piecing and applique. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about Sweet William quilt but I love it. Love what you have done so far. I too would have change the pattern up a little to be able to sew it by machine. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has been a favorite of mine too. Great idea to change up the patterns for more efficient piecing. Wonderful colors, fabrics, and of course, the applique is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I would have wanted the giraffe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this! What pretty baskets and what pretty flowers. Keep showing us your progress. So glad your friend had the pattern. K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! What a fabulous new quilt project! Love it! Have you machine appliquéd the shapes in place or were they hand stitched? Hope you are staying safe and well! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it �� beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your baskets are soooo beautiful! I wish I liked doing applique because when I see projects like this, I fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great start!! I have this pattern and love it, but never moved forward because of the hand piecing. Any chance you would be comfortable sharing your conversion?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! I'm so glad you were able to figure some measurements to get machine pieced baskets! This quilt is looking mahvelous already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful blocks, and it sounds like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it's a great inspiration quilt and your baskets are so pretty. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've admired this pattern for a long time and it is so wonderful to see another one coming together. Your work is beautiful and your quilt will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, I can see why you were smitten by this quilt. Your blocks are so appealing. I just found myself grinning as I scrolled from one to another. This is going to be an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh lala! So good. The strawberry basket is my favorite. I had forgotten that the pattern was for hand piecing. Not many quilters do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I looooooooooove baskets and what you are doing is sooooooooooo wonderful, love it...lots of work too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You go, girl! I think it's wonderful you have the skills to rewrite a pattern to make rotary cut pieces. Your blocks look wonderful. Your baskets look great and I love the flowers and fruit filling them. I think it's really nice you don't have to applique handles.

    ReplyDelete