Saturday, January 18, 2020

January Update

I got everything done that I had hoped to at quilt camp earlier this month--the nine shoo-fly blocks needed for Afternoon Delight......

...all of the stars for Smith Mountain Morning....

...and the alternate blocks, as well.
I'm making a smaller version of the quilt--5 by 7 blocks instead of 7 by 8. I'm not sure what I will do about the border yet.
This is my "star quilt along" project with Bea and Cecile

When I got home, I figured I better work on my One Monthly Goal: getting this top completed. I had done most of the quilting before I left for camp, so just needed to do some chalk marking for the border and get stitching! I've since finished this one and also completed my second swap block quilt with some simple straight line stitching. 

Ever since I had finished piecing the Afternoon Delight blocks at camp, I had been so excited to start work on the four January applique blocks. These are almost like cutting out snowflakes--fun!  The applique shapes are cut from fusible interfacing that with be fused to the back of my fabrics. I use the method shown in the program trailer HERE.

Here they are--all ready to stitch down.
My fingers are itching to do that, but first I need to finish binding those One Monthly Goal quilts!

12 comments:

  1. Love your applique blocks, i assume that they are being blanket stitched down if you fused them on? I really like the snowflakes, look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were on a mission with Smith Mountain Morning components. I love plaid so I am looking forward to seeing more of this one. Enjoy the hand stitching sessions. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you have been busy! Love the feather quilting in the border!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness you accomplished a lot at Quilt Camp. I take a lot with me but I must spend too much time chatting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks for Smith MM are looking fantastic! It's going to be beautiful!
    Happy Quilting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great progress on all of these. You must have really been moving to get so much of your Smith Mountain done. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! What a lot you’ve accomplished! Glad to hear that someone else Iis using and loving appliquick! I started using it and couldn’t be happier with the results. Your appliqué blocks are going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors in this post. That afternoon delight shoo flys and Smith Mountain Morning stars in particular made me drool a little. So much inspiration, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You got so much achieved at your quilt camp Karen and I just love those appliqué blocks! Well done on your OMG as well! Have a lovely weekend! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finally found my Afternoon Delight patterns. In with Jan Patek books and patterns for some reason.
    Do you have the appli-quilt tools? If so, are they worth the price?

    ReplyDelete