Sunday, January 29, 2017

Slow Stitching and a Goal Met

My Wooly Block Adventure block has been made into a little hanging quilt.
This was my UFO finish for January and is also on my 2017 Finish-A-Long list list. 

A little crazy quilting for the block frame. I considered using a red homespun for the binding, but ended up using a blue French General fabric that was a perfect match.

My friend Rebecca gave me the idea to do the crazy patch quilting for the border. I really love how it turned out. A lot of the blue wool pieces were left over from cutting hexagons--a good way to use up those scraps. 

I think Pam Curo's depiction of these deer is so sweet, even though I detest the deer around my house. Yesterday we had a herd of twelve deer in the backyard. I can't even begin to describe how badly my gardens have been destroyed by these critters!

I'm more than half way through the stitching on my wool hexagon project. I've been using up every blue and gray wool thread in my stash (you can probably see the variation in color in the fly stitching). Eventually, I ran out of stash threads and had to order some new ones. The spool above is Rustic Wool Moire. It's much stiffer and stronger than the DMC wool I've been using. It also seems a bit heavier, but that may be because it kind of sits on top of the surface instead of sinking in a bit like the DMC.
I'm going to be fly stitching tonight while enjoying Victoria and Homeland--it's going to be a nice evening!

Linking with Slow Sunday Stitching HERE
and One Monthly Goal HERE

20 comments:

  1. Looks so good on the wire stand. I have one stand and plans for it. I may need a second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the finish!
    Enjoy your fly stitching today!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you finished that deer block. The crazy quilt border is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan on doing some stitching while watching Victoria too! I love your wool projects,

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crazy quilt frame is so lovely. It really accents but doesn't detract from the cute deer duo in the middle. Enjoy Victoria, I have yet to watch the other two episodes that I have recorded. I better get busy. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these two projects you have been working on. While you are in winter it seems appropriate to be using wool. I have just down loaded the new free BOM from Buttermilk Basin but think I will prep the project now its summer and wait to stitch it in winter. Thanks for showing your thread, I dont know much about wool threads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Karen, these are beautiful. Far too hot to sew with wool here in subtropical north Queensland (Australia). I will drool over yours. slobber.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pretty project. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how ya finished your wool sampler! Oh and those minis are just so cute!! Enjoy your evening stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought those deer WERE in your backyard! It's very lifelike. Beautiful work as always, Karen. And your hexagons will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your crazy quilt border is the perfect way to finish of that little piece. It is pretty funny that you made this lovely scene that looks so cozy with deer in a yard when that is far from your reality. : )
    Your wool hexies are looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing the wool mini, the crazy border is perfect! I continue to be in awe of your woolly hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful finish.
    Will you make a post for your Log Cabin blocks QAL or we take your photo on FB please ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! The wishbone stitch really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of your projects are wonderful. The crazy patchwork border on your mini is perfect and of course, your wool hexies are looking fabulous with the addition of your wool feather stitching. I'm thinking the variation in the colors of the thread will add to the charm of the overall look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the little Deer Quilt and the crazy patch border looks Fabulous! Your Wool Hexie quilt is gorgeous! The fly stitching is such a beautiful element!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the crazy patch border. It looks just perfect for that little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the little deer finish and then your beautiful stitching on the current project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work on your mini hanging quilt. Love the crazy patchwork you have used in the borders.
    And the hexagons are coming together very nicely. That must be a big task!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your finished goal. On behalf of the 2017 FAL hosts, thanks for linking up and sharing your work! Great Job.

    ReplyDelete