Friday, September 5, 2014

Gift Basket Update

It's been a crazy week and I just realized that I needed to post some photos of the Gift Basket quilt finished!
Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
Gift Basket pattern by Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts.

Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
I took the finished top to my longarm group two weeks ago for a little advice on the quilting.
It's so obvious to me now, that the baskets needed a flower quilted into them.
Of course that never occurred to me--thank goodness for our longarm group and the awesome input!

Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
At first, I had planned to use the same flower design in every basket, but once I got started, I couldn't stop trying to invent new floral and leaf designs. This turned out to be a lot of fun to quilt. 

Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
Marcia Stevens suggested using an icy blue/gray thread and she was right on the mark--it was perfect.
I used 50 wt. Aurifil color #2610.

Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
Marcia also pointed out that the space between the baskets was a perfect opportunity to put in a leafy vine.
 When Marcia speaks, I listen!!!

Edyta Sitar/Laundry Basket Quilts
I went back to the scrap bag and made another basket for the label--
a special label for a special quilt.
This scrappy version of Gift Basket will be available as a kit soon at Colorz for Quilts

Kathy Schmitz
By the way, they now have kits for my Simply Red in Blue quilt too!

Since there's a blue theme going today (okay, almost everyday here!) I had to show this bundle of fabric I recently won in a drawing from Norma Whaley of Timeless Traditions. She is a wonderful designer and has an very inspiring blog HERE. It's not going to be difficult finding a place for these sweet shirting's!

And a little more addition to the stash--I wanted some yardage from the Haberdashery line by Jo Morton and somehow a fat quarter bundle of the blues from Woodlands jumped into my cart too.
I had been a little peeved that the Old Country Store closed last year before I had a chance to use my gift certificate, but guess what?
The new owners re-instated my expired gift certificate code and allowed me to use it--pretty nice of them, I think!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome quilting on the Gift Basket Quilt. This is why quilting is such a social hobby--tips from others are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a gorgeous finish to your basket quilt, Karen. I really do like that colored thread quilting a lot...You are an awesome quilter! hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly received some great quilting advice, it looks fantastic, especially the individualised flowers. Congratulations on a gorgeous finish! Lovely to see all the beautiful blue fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your basket quilt is MAGNIFICENT!! Just love it!! And all your new blue fabric is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful quilting! love that quilt ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful finishes here. I love that blue combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, its been a few years since you posted this, but I just came across it recently. I wanted to say how stunning your version of Edyta's quilt is. I happen to have almost the entire line of the Snowbird printed fabrics and the complete line of the batiks. The only thing I am sorry about is that I don't have the gorgeous backing fabric you used...sigh...it's one of the only four prints that I don't have and although I've searched far and wide, I can't find it anywhere online. I adore basket quilts and this one will be a large queen size for my bed. Absolutely love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete