Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Half Way There....

Mid-month already? Yeesh! 
I haven't even begun quilting my January goal yet. There was no time to do it before I left for retreat and since I've been back I've been doing a lot of sleeping--lol! 

I really wanted to get this quilt top put together while at camp (Sunny Lanes pattern from Pat Speth). It took forever to get the blocks together--I had made the four patches and HST's before I left home, but my brain was trying to make them into a different quilt. Needless to say, there was reverse sewing involved!
This morning my friend Jayne brought me batting and backing fabric from our guild Crisis group. As soon as I get the top quilted, I will hand the quilt off to her to be donated as the group sees fit. 
I love how cheerful it came out and it's fun to move some stash fabric out the door. 

I also added the final border to my Arctic Circles top. I was getting really bored tired of this project, so after English Paper Piecing the borders, I attached them by machine with MonoPoly and a narrow zig zag stitch. I only use my Bernina at retreats, so this was another thing I really wanted to get done. My everyday,   
"at home" machine (Juki) only does a straight stitch and I rarely need anything more than that.
Yesterday, I cut some blue strips that I am appliqueing onto the outer edges so I will have a clean finish.

I was kicking myself for not having some leader/ender piecing along with me. I'm thinking this project , Church Window Hexagon Variation starting Wednesday from Temecula Quilt Co. will make a good LE project and burn up some scraps as well. I wouldn't do them with papers though. I think there's a way to piece it by machine that would have a similar look.
I've resisted so many sew along's already this year--no Bonnie Hunter mystery, no Pam Buda 1880's 9 patches, no Kathleen Tracy Mystery 2019 (I may cave on this one!), and no Country Threads Bulls-eye Quilt (although I do want to make another one someday).
I'll let you know what I DID cave on next time! 

10 comments:

  1. Such a bright and happy donation quilt. Good luck with resisting - its really hard this time of year ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen love your Sunny Lanes quilt its gorgeous hmm i wonder which SAL's you will do this year,hope you have a wonderful day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunny Lanes is on my bucket list. I love how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunny Lanes is something I've wanted to make for a long time. It is a fun pattern.
    Arctic Circles looks like some kind of optical illusion.
    I think it would be very easy to assemble that quilt by machine. May even attempt a trial of it myself--but not the whole thing. My Circa 1880 would get jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great things being put together with any machine you use. So many ideas floating around it's hard not to get pulled in lots of directions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amaze me every time Karen, your quilts are so exquisite! Love them all.... can't wait to see what you have 'caved' for!! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see where Sunny Lanes would try to lead you astray - it's like Buckeye Beauty meets Jacob's Ladder! Good for you for a beautiful finish!
    I'm eyeing that Temecula Quilt Co SAL, too. Trying to resist, but it's sooooo very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to see what some people "cave" into. I'm looking forward to seeing what your next "cave in" is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking that I would do the Temcula quilt by machine if I were to do it. For me, it would be faster than other ways.
    Gee, I like the Arctic Circle quilt. I don't remember you working on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going through the same thing and writing about it for my blog post tomorrow...
    so many fun things and so little time!

    ReplyDelete