Saturday, September 15, 2018

Half Way Mark Already?

I boggles my mind that we are already in the middle of September. Mostly because I have done nothing to complete my monthly goal--too many distractions!
My set-in seams for the latest Patches of Blue quilt along went together great and I'm really happy and relieved it wasn't too much of struggle!

This is my latest distraction--it's been on my bucket list for ages and when I came across the large print fabric in my stash, I just had to make at least one six inch house--so cute! I've seen lots of the red French General versions, but, you know--I had to do blue! 

I posted this quilt on Instagram, but I don't think I've written about it here yet. This was my second finished quilt in August, in an attempt to use up my  LeMoyne Stars.

I had a big chunk of the Three Sisters fabric in my stash--enough for the entire back. I try to remember to stock up on large or interesting prints when I find a good sale. 

Again, I used the Easy Peasy Baptist Fan panto--love the texture.

As I said on Instagram, this isn't staying on the sofa until Willow is done with her chewing stage--which I hope will happen soon and I worry that will never happen--lol! 

I've meant to replace my Saw Tooth Cats quilt on the wall for years. I'm not even sure how long it's been hanging there--more than a decade for sure. 

And you can see a peek of my Pat Sloan applique quilt in the adjacent hallway. 

This was such a fun project from years ago. A lot of it is changed up to make it my own. Pat said this pattern was her version of a Baltimore album quilt. 

I think I was in my "dotty" phase then and I could never use too many dotted fabrics. 

I added lots of extra birds, bees and butterflies just for fun. 

I had my heart set on using a piece of brown floral I'd had for the border, but, of course, I didn't have quite enough. This may have been the first time I used my "make-do" powers and subbed a closely matched brown to finish up the border. That looked a little odd, so I added some applique flowers to tie in with the floral print. And more dots--haha! 

I remembered being worried about being called out for doing this at the time. Now I love how it turned out--I think it was meant to be. 

No time for napping--I've got to get to work on my September goal!!!


16 comments:

  1. The star looks fantastic, but I am in love with your cat wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Pat Sloan piece--your house is lovely in blue...nice works hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make such lovely quilts! I love your star block - it's gorgeous. I think your brown appliqued border is marvellous. I know I'm going to LOVE your house quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stunning star! I am impressed that the set-in seams went well.
    I love blue/white house blocks.
    Great way to "use up" your LeMoyne Stars.
    The Sawtooth kitties are so cute. That would be easy to leave it on the wall. :)
    Such a clever "make do" on the Pat Sloan quilt border. Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it's good to have many distractions ! ;)
    All your blocks are wonderful and I think blue is your favourite color.. Your quilts are beautiful and I love a lot the Sawtooth kitties !! Very original !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful stitching! Your "make-do" border looks purr-fect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fell in love with your quilts! I love the one on your sofa! I'm no longer starting new quilts but I am trying to finish up some quilts that have been WIPs and UFOs for way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing!! I love your quilts - all of them, and I really appreciate you sharing your thought process when you subbed the brown border fabric. It turned out beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's such a thing as too many dots? ;)
    Gorgeous quilts! I'm looking forward to seeing your Patches of Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous pieces in the blue star. Its interesting to look back at the quilts ww made and see what we were enjoying at the time. I bet we've all been through a dotty period. In fact, I recently bought a bunch. 😏

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your saw tooth cats quilt: it's one that has been on my bucket list for years, and the Pat Sloan applique quilt is lovely! And even if you don't finish anything this month you have been doing some beautiful sewing anyway. My thoughts on my quilting (which I have just recently realized) is that I enjoy it much more when I'm not rushing over it. I enjoy the bit slower pace: it makes my hobby relaxing! :-) Hugs, H

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did really well piecing all those diamonds! So pretty in the blue and white combo.
    Love your Pat Sloan design quilt! I am trying to remember if I have that pattern or even if I ever had it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. While everyone else is admiring your star, I'm admiring your cats, Karen! If you hadn't mentioned they were cats it would have taken me a few minutes to recognize them (and then it would have been a surprise!). And, of course, I adore your Pat Sloan applique blocks and quilt. They are just plain cheerful to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Pat Sloane quilt is a real treasure. I love your fabric choices. The cat quilt is fascinating. I'm tempted to make something similar and I don't even like cats. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete