Tuesday, July 3, 2018

A Patriotic Goal

I'm doing the One Block Challenge from Annette Plog.  The challenge block is the Schoolgirl's Puzzle and was chosen by Laurie Simpson. 

So far this year I've managed to resist joining every sew along or challenge that crosses my path. My July One Monthly Goal was an exception for a couple of reasons. 

It gave me a chance to put my Cat's Cradle ruler in action. 

I don't use the ruler a lot but I love how easy it makes these units! 


It's an opportunity to use some of my Minick and Simpson stash--this is one of two peach crates filled with M&S scraps and precuts. 

My personal challenge is to get my blocks large enough to make a QOV quilt. No other pieced blocks can be used in the challenge, so it's either make a lot of blocks or build them out. 


I opted for making just twelve blocks and adding triangles, sashing and borders to get my quilt to the right size.

I'm loving how it's looking so far--it's going to be hard to give this one away! My One Monthly Goal is to get this pieced, quilted and bound!
OMG July Goal link-up is open!

16 comments:

  1. I have never heard of a Cat's Cradle Ruler but I think I need one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty blocks! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool ruler. This looks wonderful so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those blocks! The fabric for the triangles is spot on!
    Now I wonder if I have that ruler. A quilter friend gave me her gadgets when cancer was winning the battle, and I still don't know what all I have. I owe it to her to use more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am a M&S fan. I can understand why this one will be so hard to give it away. It is going to be so lovely. I think that the fact that it is so difficult to give away makes this quilt even more special when gifting it to QOV. It will truly contain your heart and soul. So who wouldn’t be more deserving than a QOV recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love how it is looking to date too Karen!! That's a great ruler too... love clever tools! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. I really like M&S fabrics, too. How nice that this will be a donation to QOV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt is going to be stunning. Happy 4th of July. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! This is going to be just absolutely gorgeous!!! You are SO talented and creative - I really admire your artistic talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your choices on this quilt! I'm sure the vet that gets it will too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks look great - very precise! I love M&S fabrics, too. Wish I had started collecting them earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't give it away / " it's a keeper " :) Yea I say that and then i give most away too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are great blocks with wonderful fabrics and colors, Karen. I love how the outer blue triangles look just a little grey. It will be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so organized..... and yes, it is hard to not join every challenge that comes along.

    ReplyDelete