Sunday, January 28, 2018

Goals!!!

One of my goals for January was to applique two Cherry Baskets each week for the Quilt A Long with Patchwork Insprirations HERE.

I need 18 baskets for the setting I have decided on. I've been tempted to machine applique the cherries and leaves, but my Juki only does a straight stitch and there is no place right now to set up the Bernina.
 Hand applique it is!  

I was asked if it's difficult to sew the diamonds together. It's actually pretty easy! There are four different descending strip sets sewn together plus one single strip (hard to see on the far right).
Each strip set gets trimmed at a sixty degree angle. 
It wasn't in the pattern, but I pressed the 5 and 3 strip sets toward the light top and the 4 and 2 strip sets the opposite way. I think it helped with sewing them together since they nestle a bit and the bulk is reduced.  


And then cut at that angle to make the basket units. I was able to get about 9 or 10 of these units from each strip set. I used a pretty small stitch length when sewing the strips together because I was worried about them unraveling at this point--lol! 

Here is one unit from each of the four strip sets plus the single strip (cut the same way as the sets) for the right corner. 

After sewing the units together, trim off the tops leaving a quarter inch seam allowance from the darker diamond tips. See--- so easy!!!

And here is my main One Monthly Goal--On Ringo Lake!
 It was pretty messy outside and since my sewing space is a disaster, I had to do a chair shot. If I remember, I will try to get a flat photo soon.. 

I still have to attach the label for On Ringo Lake and then I will relax and do a little Slow Sunday Stitching on the rest of my basket handles today. 

Linking with One Monthly Goal HERE and Slow Sunday Stitching HERE 

Also linking with Quiltville On Ringo Lake link up HERE
Take me to the OMG Finish Link-up!Slow Sunday Stitching

26 comments:

  1. Oh I love the baskets. Your quilt is going to be beautiful. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your basket blocks are so eye-catching. I don't really understand all about the sew-along but did a request to join the Facebook group so maybe I can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cats! I can't believe you've got On Ringo Lake done already! Go you!
    Thanks for the peek at the basket construction - very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with the same colors this month....pretty! I agree...you baskets are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tutorial on the diamonds. They look so beautiful in those blue plaids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your cherry baskets! The striped fabric you used for the handles really adds so much too! Thanks for sharing how you assemble them really makes it look doable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, what a wonderful job you are doing of those diamonds. It is going to be beautiful. Thanks also for sharing how you are being so precise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those baskets. And I think chair shots of quilts are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your On Ringo Lake is gorgeous! You are so quick with that finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't make you feel good when you can come up with a more efficient way of stitching something. Such a time saver. The baskets look fantastic and all those red berries add just the right sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so in love with those baskets!!
    And your Ringo Lake is beautifully done. The colors warm and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Karen, your blocks are wonderful !Thanks for the tuto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors you choose for Ringo Lake - it is a beautiful quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those Cherry Baskets - the colors, the style and the applique cherries! And your On Ringo Lake looks so comfy and cozy. It reminds me of pumpkin pie. You did really well with your goals for this month. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for showing how you did those lovely baskets. That's going to be a beautiful quilt. And I agree the chair shot is a good one, it also shows how soft it is. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have always like blue plaids and baskets are a classic favorite. Thanks for the diamond explanation. I find them intimidating. Congrats on you OMG. I think I’ll make it also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ringo is pretty - how do you get the pattern for the baskets and sign up for the quilt along? Thx
    fredericsneice@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE those Cherry Baskets! And thanks for the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woo hoo ! Good job and great finishes for this month ! Congratulations Karen !
    Thank you for the tutorial 😉

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow you have made amazing progress for the month!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your baskets, and thanks for the process - always helpful. I machine applique with a straight stitch. Learned how with some tutorials by McKenna Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Monique D (Belgique)February 1, 2018 at 4:20 AM

    J'aime beaucoup tes paniers même si les couleurs que tu as choisies ne sont pas celles que j'ai l'habitude de travailler. Ils sont originaux. Merci pour les explications que tu partages avec nous.
    Amicalement

    ReplyDelete
  23. The baskets are looking wonderful. And the technique for sewing them is very smart.
    Love seeing Ringo Lake finished and looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on completing On Ringo Lake, a great finish!!! Love your label, did you draw it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I very much like your pattern it's beautiful,thank for sharing good i dea !

    หนังสยองขวัญ

    ReplyDelete