Friday, January 5, 2018

A Monthly Goal and Something New

Well, I couldn't resist putting all my On Ringo Lake blocks together so I could determine whether I had too many or not enough parts. For my smaller size that I am making, I needed two more blocks for a total of 32, so I did have to make more geese and pieced triangles. 

I really like how this is looking and I'm determined that it won't end up like every other Bonnie Hunter mystery I've done, so I am making On Ringo Lake my January One Monthly Goal

There are several Sew Along's happening on Facebook that I wanted to participate in, but I have rethought my priorities and am only doing the basket challenge from the Bea and Cecile Quilt-a-Long (you can read about HERE).
The Cherry Basket pattern by Bonnie Sullivan has been on my cutting table for ages, and I thought it might be fun to make a summery version (and in blue, natch!). 

My first two blocks.
 The rules are to make two blocks a week for eight weeks. My setting ( a little different from the pattern) will require 18 blocks, so I will have to do a little hustling to stay caught up and have a top sewn together by April. You can see that my plan for a light background in the previous photo had to be scrapped. I didn't have quite enough light home spun fabrics for the big triangles--they are so difficult to find! But thanks to my friend Brenda P., I had a nice big chunk of deep blue from the bag of fabrics she gifted to me last year. 

Thanks again, Brenda! 

Speaking of home spun fabrics, I don't think I have mentioned that I recently won a big "ol box of them from Janet of Rogue Quilter. 

I had a lot of fun sorting through them--strips, charms, a few triangles and lots of large pieces too! Thanks so much Janet! 

And I had to giggle when I found this little square of fabric buried in the middle of the home spuns!!!
Linking with One Monthly Goal HERE

Linking with Quiltville Mystery Monday Link Up Parts 6,7,8, and 9 HERE