Tuesday, September 5, 2017

September Goal

I've been a complete failure in adhering to my vow not to take on any new sew along's this year. I couldn't pass up making some flower pot blocks from Annette Plog's book True Blue Quilts when she had a SAL on Instagram.
I made 20 Flower Pot blocks. My Plan A for setting the blocks was to use this older Jo Morton toile. 
 I just didn't have enough of the the toile to get the last couple setting triangles--in fact, a couple I did cut were "make do".
  On to Plan B.
I had the dark blue fabric left over from another project where I had used it for borders, so I had a very long piece about 16" wide. I crossed my fingers and hoped that there would be enough! There was. Then, to make use of those toile setting triangles I had already cut (and the alternate blocks) I made some pretty big flying geese to fit around the quilt. I had pre-cut and set aside long border strips of the toile for Plan A, and they became a wide inner border. At first, I had stopped with the toile border, and liked how it looked, but wished it was a little bit larger. I wanted something that would be usable, not a small wall quilt. I would have liked something a bit more "elegant" for the outer border, but I didn't dare do anymore cutting because I was in serious danger of running out of both of my finishing fabrics. On the other hand, I wanted to make good use of both fabrics, especially the toile since I had cut it all up for Plan A!

As penance for breaking my "no SAL's" rule, I am making this my September One Monthly Goal. 


Okay, another confession--I also did the Temecula Marvelous Mini Monday SAL too.
I'm so bad! 

But look at those sweet blocks--who can resist a 2" shoo-fly or churn-dash??
Check out other September One Monthly Goals HERE

15 comments:

  1. Two great wall hangings, I especially love the baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two gorgeous quilts, very nice! Isn't it frustrating when you don't quite have enough fabric but you managed to turn it around beautifully with Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quiltalongs are so hard to resist! You are such a smartie pants to figure out how to use that gorgeous toile even after you had cut it up. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great figuring. I like the darker blue for the setting squares. It highlights the blocks and the toile looks perfect around the outside. It blends the dark and the light. You used a great border print for you marvelous mini's. It ties the blocks together. I'm feeling the need to stray from my lists too. September is off to a wonderful start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know about the basket sew-along. I might have played as I have been thinking of doing something with that very basket block. Now you have me wanting to stop everything and make a few baskets. I like your basket quilt top very much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on finishing your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to set some goals, thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plan B quilt looks awesome! The darker blue really sets off the basket blocks. I love basket quilts and especially that style of basket. Where could I get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice save on the toile fabric. I think plan B looks excellent. To me that final border fits in well with the block design.
    And look at you go with the Marvelous Mini Monday. Very cute! I know I couldn't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your basket quilt turned out lovely!! And you're not bad: you're just easily enthused about what other people are doing!! ;-) I've started a few new quilts too, but I am working on finishing an older one. At least I may finish something!! LOL!
    Have a great week!! Hugs, H in HeaLDSburg

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plan B is wonderful!! And how can you resist that 2" churn dash. I too am a sucker for small quilt blocks. I too find Instagram SALs so hard to resist, especially if I have the book or pattern already on my to do list. It gives me an excuse to start a new project when i already have a bazillion in the works. oh, heck...life is too short. Both of your newest creations are just so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of these are amazing! :) And your 'make do " worked very nicely

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is hard to resist when they are so lovely. I love the way you were able to use so much of the fabrics you already had. That makes the quilt a bonus!

    ReplyDelete