Monday, July 10, 2017

Follow the Leader...

I think my favorite feature on my Juki would be the scissor. With just a tap on the foot pedal, the threads are cut. Occasionally, as the sewn pieces are removed from the machine, I accidentally unthread the needle. 
That's why I try to use a leader/ender to finish off what ever I am sewing--just to hold that thread in the needle. Look at how much thread I've used just on these small pieces! Actually this used to be one piece, but I cut it in half to not only use less thread, but to save a few seconds--haha! (Hey, those seconds all add up to minutes, right?)
Soooo, I've been waiting to see what Bonnie Hunter would come up with as her leader/ender challenge project she does every summer. She chose Rail Fences--read about it HERE

Rail Fences don't particularly "trip my trigger", but Bonnie's plan for her Rail Fences reminded me of  this quilt that I had bookmarked from the August 2016 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. I thought Stair Steps would be perfect to burn up some of my endless supply of blue scraps, however, I didn't relish making the 1,760 half square triangles! 

I think by substituting four patches for the HST's, I will get the look of Stair Steps without all the fuss of making those triangles. There are already many, many 1.5" red and light squares cut and in my stash, so that will be a big time saver. 

These are the two different blocks (as shown on the Quiltville site) needed, and following Bonnie's pressing instructions, they will go together perfectly. 

I've got a good start on my cutting and will keep this little box next to the sewing machine as I work on other projects. I plan to sew everything together in pairs, then into the four patches and the four strips. After that, I will cut more strips and squares as needed. I plan to make a generous twin size, for now--subject to change--lol!  As this is a year long challenge, there's no rush.
I didn't do last years Hourglass leader/ender challenge (I'm kind of regretting that now that I've seen Bonnie's quilt on her Instagram feed), but I did have lots of fun with the Spool and Lozenge Leaders & Enders Challenges. 
 


 I think the Rail Fence Challenge will be a fun one too!
And maybe someday I'll make those 1, 760 Half Square Triangles for an actual Stair Steps quilt! 

19 comments:

  1. I really like the pattern you've chosen to do the leaders/enders project. Of course, part of the reason I like it a lot is because of the colors you've chosen. You can't beat red, white, and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a great L&E project. It's amazing what can be accomplished like that plus all the thread you save along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thought of all those little pieces is quite daunting!! I like your solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of enders and leaders - had to look it up. Learned something new! Your quilts look terrific. I look forward to seeing more of your split rail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your colours for this! I've also been really tempted by this challenge, but this week I already have done too much cutting. But then again, you may have changed my mind!

    Your other two L&E projects are both beautiful! I particularly love the colours in the lozenges. ...hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just happened upon your blog and love it. Love reading about your quilts from beginning to end. I'm curious about the "Texas Star Quilt" Can you tell me what pattern this is - thought maybe it was in the True Blue book but didn't find it there. I see it has a hexagon in center with diamonds surrounding the hexagon. Would like to purchase the pattern. Thank you.

    Terry in So. Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a 1/4" foot for your Juki? I'd love to see what it looks like - I'm trying to decide which one to buy - Great idea for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you are doing for the rail fence challenge!
    And both of your finished challenge quilts are wonderful scrap creations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your first block is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When Bonnie first said Rail Fence I was all "meh" - but then she showed her checkerboard variation and I went from "meh" to "oh goody!" Your Stair Steps is even better! I may end up being in for this one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. My bridges look just like yours! I'm thinking of doing the BH leader & ender rail fence, too. I have plenty of 1 1/2" strips all cut up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have a good plan for your leader-enders. I look forward to seeing it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been thinking about your rail fence/checkerboard pattern. (Like I need another project). Using the squares instead of the triangles is an wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all the reds, whites and blues. Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of enders and leaders - had to look it up. Learned something new! Your quilts look terrific.

    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The floors are treacherously weak, with some having already collapsed through to the spray can filled basement. Below the building flows a small creek. Evidently a flood or two collapsed some of the supporting structure.fence companies yukon ok

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow !!! beautiful and so lovely work :) i really like your good idea so much.Thank for sharing.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete