Thursday, January 28, 2016

First 2016 UFO Complete!

I finished my January UFO before I left for quilt camp, but didn't get any photos taken until today.
ThimbleCreek 2015 Mystery Sew Along quilt.
Officially checked off the 2016 Finish-A-Long list!
There was a little peek of sunshine this afternoon, so I ventured out onto our ice covered porch to get some quick pictures. I could have spent a little more time arranging the quilt but I 
had to be quick since I was too lazy to put on my coat and gloves.

Somehow there was a big pile of leftover hourglass units, so I used them to frame my label.
How 'bout those blue bats on the backing?!?
I ordered the backing online (at a great price) and was very surprised to see the bats were black and blue and not all black when the fabric arrived in the mail. It took a while to warm up to them, but I'm okay with them now---I think. 

I wimped out on the edge to edge quilting and ended up doing a lot of ditch quilting. It shows off all the piecing nicely, so I'm glad I changed my mind about that.


I need 239 one inch half square triangle to sash my Buttermilk Basin BOM blocks. I printed up the papers from my Triangulations CD and spent the morning fitting them to the scraps of background fabric I had leftover from the blocks. Of course I ran out of the background fabric, but I think I found a pretty good make-do fabric from my stash to make all the HST's.

 I'm really looking forward to removing all those papers--not!

Linking with One Monthly Goal (OMG)  

and 2016 Finish-A-Long HERE
RedLetterQuilts2016 FAL

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful mystery finish! Wouldn't worry about the black and blue bats (sounds like someone beat them up). They make a great backing.
    Looks at you go on the HSTs for the BB mystery. I really like the look of her finish, but don't have a place for that size quilt to hang. Still pondering how to finish my blocks. Have fun removing papers--and you have my sympathy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Halloween Mystery is gorgeous. I'm not a huge fan of edge to edge quilting, so I like what you did. Shows off the blocks! Great finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You quilt turned out dazzling! I love the bats. Sometimes paying extra hurts in the pocketbook but it feels so right and is so worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 239 One inch HST OMG!!!!!!!! I couldn't....LOL!But those Butter Basin BOM are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fantastic....I know it feels good to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Won't be long and you can do the next Thimble Creek mystery quilt. I like how you did the label with the pieced border around it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Karen! What a beautiful finish! Love this quilt, it is such a lot of fun! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish! The SID helps your patchwork shine! I usually back out when it comes time to decide on quilting allover, but just finished a large one after debating. it kinda hid the secondary pattern, but it sure did go faster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ilove the way you set and sashed the blocks, very cool! The colors are really great too! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wahoo! Your mystery is done. You're probably the first person on the planet to have it all finished. What a lot of quilting in the ditch. Everything was so small. Mine's waiting to get quilted. Interesting you changed your mind about the overall design. Have fun peeling papers, but at least they'll be perfect hst. I had to come up with a different idea. I just couldn't do all of those. Bravo on your persistence!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely finish, congrats on braving the cold to take that picture!

    I still have to catch up on my wool block, don't think I'll be making all those triangles. Glad you found something to match your background fabric, it will be an interesting twist to your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Black or blue bats--doesn't matter. The price was right and bats on a Halloween quilt are perfect.
    Best of luck with all those papers. I like the accuracy of using them, but peeling papers (especially on the small ones) is the price we pay for perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on finishing your quilt - and managing to get outside for a photo, too.
    Great result. It looks wonderful. And so do the bats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many little triangles and a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what a scrappy delight! Congratulations on your OMG finish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful finish. I love your sashing, very novel but it looks great with the blocks. Congrats on meeting your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bats! And that is a really great label. Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bats are adorable and your quilt wonderful. Did you piece all of those checks on the sashing!?

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow - that is a great quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I love this! Amazing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, and what a neat edge on that quilt, it looks like it might have been difficult to bind though! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete