Friday, August 22, 2014

August UFO complete!

Before I loaded the Gift Basket quilt on my HQ16, 
I wanted to be sure to get my August UFO quilted up.
red cross quilt
This is the Blue and Gray quilt from the book The Blue and The Gray by Country Threads.

red cross quilt
I added some blocks to make it lap size--"borrowed" that idea from some quilting friends.

red cross quilt
I almost forgot to do the rounded corners.
I hadn't cut my binding on the bias, so I wasn't sure if it would still work.
But it did--yay!
 I ran out of my blue binding fabric, so there are a few bits of red in there--I love "making do"--just makes it more interesting to me! 

I really wanted to hand quilt this one with a big stitch and red pearl cotton, but there is no way I could do it with the arthritis I have in my wrists.
My machine quilting was kind of an experimental free-hand Baptist Fan.
 Hopefully, it will look better the next time I do it--haha!
I used Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting--it shrank up so cuddly and crinkly--love it! 

And finally, these old fence boards I white-washed back in July....

...were made into a few shelves like this one.
Thanks Mr. Moosebay!

(above quilt pattern by Jo Morton: Prairie Basket from Yesterday's Charm book)

8 comments:

  1. Great finish Karen! it does indeed look cosy and I love how the red crosses stand out.
    Those white wash shelves are a great idea - perfect for quilt display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure know how to make a gorgeous quilt, Karen! This one shimmers and glows and looks new and old at the same time. There's enough variety to prevent boredom (probably in the making, too) and enough repetition to unify. Congratulations. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Blue and Gray quilt looks warm and comforting. Nice choice of fabrics. I loved that pattern as soon as I saw it in the Country Threads book, but mine is only partly done. Brave girl for trying free motion Baptist fans. I want to try those soon, and thanks for experimenting with the free-hand version first. I especially like the rounded corners, and it's nice to know that you managed just fine with straight-of-grain binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue and Gray is really lovely, Karen. Those red crosses really make it ! Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your finish! Way to go on trying something new with the quilting too. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue and Gray looks the way a quilt should look. Nine patches are a personal favourite so this quilt really speaks to me! Love the rounded corners! Well done Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever machine sewed your bindings, Karen? My darn old arthritis has kicked in again and hand sewing is a problem for a bit...thanks, hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, I love this...the nine patches even look like crosses also! I want to try free-hand Baptist fan. Great job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete